Welcome Plateau of Asiago 7 Comuni

7 towns to discover

Asiago Enego Foza Gallio
Lusiana Conco Roana Rotzo

If you like the Asiago Plateau click

l'Altopiano di Asiago 7 Comuni

Forts and Museums

Fort Lisser

Forte Lisser

Fort Lisser together with Fort Coldarco is part of the "Ecomuseo of the Great War of the Vicentine Prealps" project. Both military fortresses,dating from the period of the First World War and placed to defend the Italian border against the Austro-Hungarian Empire, have recently been restored and are visitable.

Fort Lisser, renamed by war correspondents the "Lion of the Plateau", was built between 1911 and 1914 in order to bar the enemy's access to Valsugana, together with the Brenta-Cismon Fortresses (Fort Cima Lan and Fort Cima Campo). However, due to its position, the Lisser could also control the Melette area and the Marcesina Plain on the Asiago Seven Municipalities Plateau. It rises, in fact, at 1633 meters above sea level, right above the Marcesina Plain.

The fortress consists of an imposing two-storey building 63 m long, 15.5 m wide, and almost 10 m high (although largely underground).

The architecture of this fort is truly extraordinary: those who laid each stone by hand with great precision and skill managed to build arches that we still admire today for their perfection and beauty.

It was an autonomous structure, with kitchen, food warehouse, latrines, powder magazine, power plant with power generator, ventilation system, hot air heating, large tanks to collect water, dormitories for the troops and officers (about a hundred people who made up the nucleus of ready employment).

The fort was equipped with a battery of 4 149 mm cannons, located in the domes on the top of the building. In a raised position there were then machine guns.
Outside there was also a moat.

The historic site is now managed by the Siben Alte Komoine Museum Association, a group of volunteers united by the desire to preserve and transmit the memory of the Plateau of the Seven Municipalities.

The tour route to the fortress

Scalinata interna del Forte Lisser

Forte Lisser can be visited both by guide and freely. The time it takes to visit is about an hour and a half.

For the visit of the powder keg, suitable clothing is recommended as even in summer the environment is very cold (it also reaches 6 degrees Celsius).

Below is a brief explanation of the subdivision of the structure in order to better plan your visit to the fort:

on the ground floor: officer quarters, kitchen, infirmary, troop quarters, guardhouse, armory, retractable machine gun turrets, ammunition depot, warehouse, assembly hall, bullet-packing and more;

on the first floor: revolving armored domes, control room, dust and projectibles;

in the basement:(up to -12 m) powder keg, tanks and corridor with rails;

outside you can see the moat, climb to the domes and admire the whole structure and the wonderful view that you enjoy from up here.

Services

- Possibility of independent visit with explanatory signs
- Guided tour of the Fort with a small supplement or possible in-depth historical naturalistic guide by reservation
- Free car park 50 meters from the fort
- Access allowed to dogs on a leash
-Toilets

Guided tour times

Guided tours take place at the following times: 10:30 am, 11:30 am, 12:30 pm, 2:30 pm, 3:30 pm.

Fort Lisser after restoration

Background

Reconstructed mechanical gear of Fort Lisser
Ingranaggio meccanico ricostruito del Forte Lisser

Construction work on Fort Lisser began in 1911 and was completed at the end of 1914. They were carried out by the military engineers of the Sub-Directorate of the Belluno Engineers under the direction of Major Antonio Dal Fabbro, who also directed the works of the other forts of the Brenta – Cismon Barrage, namely the Cima di Campo and Cima di Lan forts, erected in the area of Col Perer above the village of Arsiè. Some civilian companies also participated in the work and obtained piecework from the military.

The fortification had the task of guarding, together with the aforementioned neighboring forts, the underlying Valsugana and the state border that was located in Primolano from the attack of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

The materials used in the construction of the fortress came from the quarries in the area and were brought to the top via a large cableway that from Primolano reached the square in front of the fort.

First the access road was opened, then the two-storey barracks were built in a protected position, which could accommodate up to 200 men, then the casemate was built.

The construction model followed in the construction of the work was the one conceived by the general of the engineers Enrico Rocchi, a disciple of the "school of armored forts".

The forts designed by Rocchi were armed with 4 or 6 150 mm cannons on armored domes and, outside, if the terrain permitted, batteries consisting of 150 mm howitzers could be placed.

They were then equipped with armoured revolving towers, intended to build the core of the protective armament of a barrage, or a centre of resistance, in support of open, occasional or improvised batteries.

The fortress was also equipped with an observatory and dome projectors for observing the surrounding area.

Fort Lisser consisted of a single building with two superimposed floors, oriented with the main front to the west/north-west. On the ground floor there were various services, such as electric generator, accumulators and kitchens.

On the upper floor there was the main casemate, the real heart of the work with 4 cannons in an armored dome, interspersed with the reserves, that is, the rooms where the ammunition was stored. On the left side there was the officers' room, from which, with a ladder, you could reach the observatory dome, from which you could observe the surrounding territory and give the firing data to each individual armored dome, using the communication system of the acoustic pipes.

On either side of the upper floor, there were also two retractable domes for machine guns.

From the left side of the ground floor, through an underground staircase that crossed the moat, there was access to the powder magazine that was located inside the mountain. The powder magazine was always built in rock and in a position far from the battery, so that, in the event of an explosion, the fort could not be damaged.

Here bullets and gunpowder were stored inside wooden houses, suitable for preventing the passage of humidity. From the powder magazine, the bullets reached the armored towers thanks to special elevators.

Fort Lisser was surrounded by a gully moat; To access the building there was a retractable bridge and a front wall with loopholes for machine guns and rifles.

In the rear position was the infantry line, a sort of concrete trench where, at regular intervals, there were lunettes that could accommodate machine guns to defend themselves in case of enemy infantry attack.

Fort Lisser was able to withstand the bombardment of medium calibers, so both the cover and the parts that could be subjected to enemy fire had been tested.

As in all Italian defensive works built from the early 900s until the outbreak of the World War, this fortification was not reinforced concrete, but only cement, a cement conglomerate formed by minute crushed stone, as indicated in the specifications of the military engineers.

A curiosity: during the construction of the fort, some photos of the construction site were published in the Domenica del Corriere , as well as other news on what was being built above Enego. Following this, the soldiers of the engineers and the team leaders were given the strict order not to have any contact with the parish priest of the town, suspected of being the source of the information leaked to the press, and not to let him approach the construction site. The priest was known, in fact, for having no sympathy for Italy and the Italian army.

The armament of the fort was 4 medium-caliber pieces, 149 mm, in rotating Schneider armored domes, 15.5 cm thick, with a useful range of 11 to 12 km.

For close defense, moreover, 5 machine guns (2 Gardner and 3 Maxim) were available in the two retractable domes and, in an external position, there were positions for 8 75 mm steel guns and 4 149 mm G guns.

The garrison of the fort was composed of 200 men, soldiers of the 9th fortress artillery regiment, under the command of a captain.

Fort Lisser, far from the front lines, like the other forts of the Brenta-Cismon Barrage, was not involved in war actions of any importance. Following the tragedy that took place at Fort Verena on 12 June 1915, the Lisser and the other works in defence of Valsugana were disarmed.

Fort Lisser was occupied by the Austrians on 14 November 1917, who used it as an ammunition and material depot until the end of the war, in which it remained until the end of the war. After the war it was ousted from the military domain and sold to private individuals. In the 90s it was purchased by the Municipality of Enego which has recently had it restored both externally and internally. The atmospheric agents, over the decades, in fact, had heavily ruined the structure, already very compromised by the war.

The corroded domes of Fort Lisser

Webcam Live

Thanks to Asiago.it's live webcams you can stay up to date on what is happening in real time in various areas of the Plateau, in all seasons. 
Watch live webcams from Mount Lisser, to see what the weather is like right now, to check the snow situation , or just to enjoy the beautiful highland views and views of Fort Lisser.

Webcam Forte Lisser with east view towards Lagorai and Pale di San Martino

Webcam Monte Lisser with south-east view of the Belluno Prealps and Monte Grappa

All rights reserved.